We enjoy reflecting on our experiences by proposing a topic and sharing what comes to our mind. Here is one from a few days ago, "What's different in India from Tanzania." Granted, our thoughts could go a lot deeper, it was just a quick brainstorm at the restaurant:
I: Fewer fanta sodas
K: Roads are better
C: People seem better educated
I: Driving is more dangerous - close calls
K: Music is different
C: Food is much tastier - spicy and flavorful
I: Food is worse - too spicy
K: More smells in Africa (?)
C: Meals are less expensive for comparable quality
I: More varieties of ice cream
K: Utilities are more reliable (electricity and internet)
C: Sim cards are more cumbersomee to acquire (to use our phones we would have to go through a lot of bureacracy to get a sim card in India, probably for tracking calls. In Tanzania you just buy it and phone is ready to go).
I: Noisier in India
K: Less drinking by guys here
K: Women's lives don't seem as hard - carrying heavy things on their heads
C: India seems to have fewer people sitting idle
I: Men are more dressed up here
C: Malayalum spoken here, Swahili there (ok, not deep reflection!)
I: Drier in India
C: Credit cards can be used here, though still not like the U.S.
I: Less soda drinking in India
C: Coke branding is not everywhere
C: The middle class here seems to have a lot higher standard of living than the middle class in Tanzania.
Loved these. So interesting!
ReplyDelete-Annie
fun to think of you gathering these ideas together--really interesting. And also will be interesting to compare with your other stops in India, then Japan! thanks for sharing your great stories along the way.
ReplyDeletethat was from Kathryn :)
Delete